Minneapolis Vein Center
Interventional Radiologists & Vein Specialists located in Plymouth, MN
WHAT IS A UTERINE FIBROID EMBOLIZATION?
A uterine fibroid embolization procedure is minimally invasive which means less downtime and quicker recovery. It shrinks the fibroids so that related symptoms are significantly relieved. In many cases, the symptoms are completely resolved.
WHO MIGHT NEED A UFE?
The primary reason that a woman may elect to undergo a uterine fibroid embolization is to get relief from problematic symptoms that the fibroid or fibroids may be causing. While most fibroids are benign, they can cause pain, pressure, heavy bleeding, anemia, and in rare cases fertility issues.
For many women, these symptoms are troublesome enough to warrant undergoing the procedure. Add to that its high efficacy rate, minimal invasiveness, and quicker recovery and it’s obviously a better choice than some other fibroid treatments.
HOW IS A UFE PERFORMED?
Fluoroscopy, a real-time x-ray, is used to guide the doctor to the correct areas where he or she will deliver embolic agents which are like very fine grains of sand to the arteries that supply blood to the fibroids. These embolic agents block the blood supply to the fibroid, which causes it to shrink. The procedure is safe and very effective with most patients getting relief from their fibroid symptoms.
Read our detailed UFE description for more information on uterine fibroids, the UFE procedure, and what to expect if you’re getting the procedure.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF UFE?
The benefits of Uterine Fibroid Embolization include:
- Non-surgical: UFE is a less invasive alternative to surgical options for treating uterine fibroids, such as hysterectomy.
- Quick recovery: UFE typically results in a faster recovery time compared to surgery, with many patients able to return to their normal activities within a few days.
- Reduced risk of complications: UFE has a lower risk of complications compared to surgical options for treating uterine fibroids, such as infection and bleeding.
- Preserved fertility: UFE preserves the uterus, allowing women to maintain their fertility, which is not the case with hysterectomy.
- Relief of symptoms: UFE has been shown to effectively relieve symptoms associated with uterine fibroids, such as heavy menstrual bleeding, pain, and pressure on the bladder and rectum.
- Reduced size of fibroids: UFE has been shown to reduce the size of uterine fibroids, resulting in improved symptoms and improved quality of life.
WHAT INSURANCES DO YOU ACCEPT?
You can see a list at Our list of accepted insurance plans here